BRIK internship featured in Career Newsletter
Our internship in our Drums and Poems program was highlighted in the Brandeis University Hiatt Center Newsletter:
Building Resilience in Kids (BRIK) is a small non-profit helping children who have been stressed by poverty and trauma. They help children directly and through their caregivers to build resilience. BRIK offers workshops and programs that allow children to express themselves creatively while building positive relationships with those around them.
Current Opening: Fall Intern – 9/24
Work with urban children in a small group making collaborative poems and art that build empathy and verbal skills at the Martin Luther King School in Cambridge. A fast paced program for a lively, caring college student (Stipend: $500 for 11 weeks).
- Drums and Poems is comings to Thoreau Farm!
Georgia Sassen, PhD is leading a one day session for 8-10 year olds. From the Thoreau Farm website:
Drums and Poems
May 18 at 11 a.m.
This is the session for children who like rhymes, silly songs, and rhythm. Georgia Sassen will lead them to create poems as a group, put them on the “poettree” and say them to the beat of hand drums. In the spirit of simplicity, parents will receive instructions on how to make one of the drums at home with repurposed materials and a staple gun. Kids learn that writing, like mural making, is a group activity and that words are like toys you can build and play with.
Sign up at ThoreauFarm.org
- This summer, learn about our newest program for children, Drums and Poems in a one day course at the Smith College School for Social Work. (Six Continuing Ed credits available for social workers but any professional may attend.) Our Executive Director will be teaching this one day course , describing the Relational Cultural Theory basis of D and P, and giving hands-on exercises in how to use it with children in schools and clinical settings. The course is held on the verdant campus of Smith College in Northampton MA. For more information on the course, please visit http://www.smith.edu/ssw/acad_cont_summer.php.
Or send us an email.
- Our Executive Director, Georgia Sassen, will lecture on BRIK’s Drums and Poems program for supporting empathy and connection among children at the Art Therapy Department of Crawford College of Art and Design in Cork, Ireland. Drums and Poem is currently running at the Martin Luther King School in Cambridge, MA. This is BRIK’s first European training.
- Making Connections through Science: BRIK partners with Science Clubs for Girls
- BUILDING RESILIENCE IN KIDS LAUNCHES DRUMS AND POEMS™
Can Drumming Together Teach Relationship Building?
Can making Poems Improve Literacy?